In light of the exceptional economic crisis experienced by Lebanon and the hopes of many people that Lebanese expatriates play a fundamental role in saving the country, 50 Lebanese expatriates from 17 countries held a virtual meeting on July 11 to announce the formation of “11 July Diaspora Call".
This call aims at uniting the efforts of the Lebanese expatriates to support Lebanon and discuss the best methods and solutions to save the country through the active participation of expatriates in the next stage.
Expatriates from Italy, France, Belgium, Mexico, Brazil, the United States of America, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Tunisia, Morocco, Iraq, Britain, Australia, Netherlands, Sweden and Germany attended the meeting.
The “11 July Diaspora Call” comes in the midst of popular movements that started months ago. It is a result of the suffering of the Lebanese citizens, residents and expatriates from the bad economic situation and the collapse of the national currency because of the theft of hard-earned deposits of the people. The deposits were wasted due to the deterioration of the national currency value day after day in the absence of any clear solutions.
The meeting discussed the economic situation in Lebanon and the role of expatriates in finding solutions to the crisis. The participants issued a statement in which they presented their views on the situation in Lebanon. They called on the other Lebanese councils of expatriates to sign the statement and join this initiative to unify the efforts of expatriates in the interest of Lebanon and the Lebanese people.
The meeting made the following recommendations:
- Launching an intensive workshop for Lebanese expatriates all over the world to develop an action plan indicating that diaspora will be a driving element, rather than a driven element. It will play an active role in building the new country by benefitting from the knowledge and capabilities of Lebanese expatriates all over the world.
- In the long run, we see that there is only one solution from which we can start, that is to build a state of the law; adopt a way to get out of this crisis and share the losses resulting from it. These are the first foundations of the republic that we want to build.
- Emphasizing the unity of Lebanon and the Lebanese people, strengthening and enhancing the concept of belonging to the nation and the country.
- The authorities concerned must assume their responsibility.
- It is illegal to attach the funds of resident and expatriate depositors.
- Requesting the bankers and members of banks' boards of directors to get back the funds that they moved out of the country during the last period.
- It is necessary to form a commission to recover the stolen money and issue a special pardon for six months to all who voluntarily return the stolen funds.
- Organizing the flow of funds and streamlining financial transfers, allowing expansion of FRESH MONEY decision and mechanisms to include internal financial transactions.
Source: Alef International